Saturday, April 28, 2012

Field Trip - Burlington

On Friday I had the opportunity to join Marc for a field trip to Burlington. His company has an office there and since he had to go for work it meant that I got a free trip! After picking up Marc's coworker it was a short 1 1/2 hour drive to the center of Burlington. A few notables from our drive (1) bears live in Vermont and (2) April snow flurries.

Once in Burlington I dropped the guys off at their office and had the rest of the day to explore on my own. My first stop was Oakledge Park. Despite the cold windy weather I bundled up and headed out for a walk around the park. My first stop was the Forever Young Tree House.


Built as a handicapped accessible treehouse, it stands about 15 feet off the ground. Being the only person inside and having great views across the park it was an excellent way to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.

But since it wasn't exactly a warm day I decided to move on and keep walking around the park. Which brought me to the earth clock. Sadly the sun wasn't out when I was here so I wasn't able to use it to tell the time but it was fun to wander around and look at the rocks and the sundial.


After wandering around the park I decided it was time to head back into the city center for some shopping and lunch. I wandered through Burlington Town Center and then up and down Church Street. For those who have been to Los Angeles, church street is Burlington's equivalent of the 4th Street Promenade in Santa Monica. Basically a pedestrian friendly shopping area. The snow flurries started up again as I was wandering around which I thoroughly enjoyed.


The highlight of the afternoon and real reason for traveling all the way up to Burlington was to get a Costco fix. This is the closest Costco to our new home and we have been desperately wanting some salmon burgers. After trying 2 different kinds from the grocery store we realized that we just had to get some from Costco, along with some other items. I really can't wait until we move into our house and we can save money by purchasing more items in bulk from Costco. 


All in all it was a very delightful day up in Burlington. Next time I hope it's a little less windy and a little bit warmer so that I can explore more of the outdoor offerings. Or perhaps I'll head out of the city and go visit the Lake Champlain Chocolate factory or maybe the Magic Hat brewery.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment