Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Edgewater Farm CSA Week 15 and 16

I've been a little bit behind in keeping up with our CSA boxes for the end of the season. Week 15 we received carrots, onion, plum tomatoes, corn, Carmen peppers, savoy cabbage, celery, Hungarian hot wax pepper and kale in our box and I didn't even take one picture of it. I'm going to say it's because it was my birthday and also my parents are visiting but most likely it's because we opened the box after Violet went to bed.


I can't believe it's already week 16 and the end of our CSA box. I'm pretty sure I didn't keep a tally of everything that was in our box but I do know that there were tomatoes, lettuce, parsley, red onion, yellow onion, potatoes, and leeks. Violet had a great time exploring the box immediately pulling out the parsley and holding it up to her nose to smell.  



Then she spotted the tomatoes and wanted to get them out of the box. After removing the entire container she spent the next five minutes inspecting each tomato individually and making sure each one smelled right.









Last but not least Violet wanted to see how strong she was by trying to life the entire bag of potatoes all by herself. It was definitely heavy but she did a good job of holding them up for the pictures.



I have to say it's been a really great CSA season. One of my favorite parts about this CSA was the variety of foods we received each week in our box. There are a few items I wouldn't be interested in getting again - some of the hot peppers and the fennel bulbs. And there are many that I will miss during the winter - corn, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, and the hakuri turnips. But I definitely wouldn't hesitate to sign up for the CSA again next year. Not only for the produce but also to see how Violet reacts to the box each week. Perhaps next summer she'll actually help me cook some of the foods! 

No comments:

Post a Comment